Thursday, April 21, 2011

I am my own worst travel agent.

We're planning to leave for Cleveland tomorrow night to visit family over Easter weekend (mostly mine), and - as usual - I've left most of the preparations undone until the last minute.

If it weren't for my husband's gentle (understandably concerned) reminders, I would have left even more for myself to do in the final hours before departure.  
Just today, I called around to compare prices on fuel-efficient rental cars and make our reservation.  This was less than 36 hours before we were planning to pull out of our driveway in said rental car.  I modified our car insurance to cover collision and comprehensive payments on the rental car, with a low deductible, just in case.  Horror stories about burglaries prompted me to add renter's insurance to our duplex, too.  I just have to write down the serial numbers of our electronics and I can move on to cleaning and packing.  Tomorrow.

There's a ton of pressure on this visit to be totally awesome, for plenty of reasons: Peach is turning 4, Pimento is visiting Ohio for the first time, Loki (our family dog) is coming along to act as playmate to his dog-cousin Apollo, and Daddy will be joining us.  He hasn't been back to C-town since we moved to Brunswick, Georgia in 2007.  (He has his reasons, and they're all pretty good.)  On top of the excitement of seeing the fam, I'm stoked to meet my C-town bestie's youngling, born a few months before my own bitty.  How do we cram it all in while savoring each moment?  Gah!

The plans for where we should be and at what time are shaping up, though haven't been completely solidified.  Once we land at my mom's place, Saturday will probably be low-key for the most part, since hubs and I will likely be whooped from driving overnight.  Easter service at Dad's church is on the agenda for Sunday morning.  Then there's the big Easter dinner at Mom's, which may end up being a birthday thing for Peach, too.  And Monday is pretty loose, with two visits occurring sometime within the constructs of the daylight hours.  

As far as the route we're taking, I think we're relying mostly on wits, with some help - if necessary - from hubs' smartphone's GPS. Maps are passé. There are only so many interstates between Wisconsin and Cleveland, after all.

See?  My itinerary is water-tight.  Who needs help with travel plans?

Overall, I'm staying positive.  The drive will be swift, safe, and enjoyable.  The interactions with family will be nothing short of elating.  And we'll arrive home to a sweet-smelling home, pre-cleaned to minimize the stress of resuming the daily grind.  

Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment