Friday, April 8, 2011

Grocery Store Heroines

My recent travels with the Peach and Pimento were tough, to be sure, but certainly the tougher task is to complete everyday chores with any sort of reliability.

This struck me on my way out of the grocery store as I, triumphantly pushing a cart of somewhat-cohesive ingredients and a sleeping baby, observed another mother loading her two kiddos under three into a cart, preparing to embark on her regular errand with nary a tinge of dread.  I found myself sending sympathetic vibes her way, praying for the cooperation of her children and a successful grocery trip for her.  I had timed my own grocerying to coincide with Peach's preschool hours, so I only had one little person with which to contend.  

Everyone (figuratively) patted me on the back for flying solo with my girls.
But I got loads of help and one of them slept most of the way.
I can attest that I've been brought closer to the brink of tears by a wayward family shopping trip (on more than one occasion), something so mundane it rarely, if ever, gets recognition as a difficult undertaking.  Which it is.  How I'm ever able to bring home more than "princess soup," graham crackers, and Dora popsicles is a small miracle.

Here's to the all the grocery store heroines, making motherhood look so easy we only get one holiday. (I'm looking at you, Mom!)

No comments:

Post a Comment